Integration with Intuit QuickBooks Online, also called QBO, is a feature of the Back Office Module. The Intuit QuickBooks Online integration is considered an online integration, meaning that it performs real-time, two-way communication with QuickBooks using a robust API. This supported integration with QuickBooks Online requires the BrightMove Back Office module to be licensed and enabled, and is accessible within the BrightMove Marketplace.
Connecting Your BrightMove ATS Instance with QBO
Once you have enabled the Back Office Module within BrightMove, connecting your BrightMove ATS Instance to QBO is very simple.
- To Connect with QBO, the Back Office module must be licensed and enabled.
- In your ATS account, using the top right Quick Links menu under your avatar, navigate to Marketplace
- From the Marketplace, find the Intuit QuickBooks Online application panel
- On the right side of the panel, click the button that says Connect
- You will see a popup message indicating you will be redirected to the QuickBooks Marketplace Connector, select Continue
- One you have been redirected to the Intuit Account login for QuickBooks, login to connect your account with the proper credentials. You will be challenged by the Intuit security system to gain access. This could include username, password, MFA, etc. Credentials will vary based on how your Intuit QuickBooks Online account is configured
- Once you have properly authenticated with Intuit for QuickBooks Online, you will be redirected back to the BrightMove Marketplace
- If the Intuit QuickBooks Online panel shows a green checkmark and a red button that says Disconnect and a blue button that says Manage, your account has been connected to QBO
Generating invoices is the process of converting fees realized from approved timesheet and products & services into a batch of invoices which can then be sent to QuickBooks Online.
- To Generate Invoices, the Back Office module must be licensed and enabled.
- In your ATS account, navigate to Back Office
- From the Back Office menu, select List Batches under the Invoices heading
- On the right, select the button that says Generate Invoices
- Step 1: Click the button that says Run Health Check. If this button is greyed out and there are no errors, the health check automatically ran and passed. There is nothing more to do
- Step 2: Set the first invoice number in the batch. By default this will be one more than the last invoice number of the last batch of invoices generated. After setting the right value, click the button that says Generate Invoices
- Step 3: Send Batch to deliver the new batch of invoices in real-time to QuickBooks Online
- If you'd like to review the batch before sending, click the View Batch link
- Invoices generated in the batch are then available for future reference
- Batches that do not have a date value under the Exported On column have not yet been Sent to QBO
If you wish to see the details of a batch of generated invoices, you can review them using the View Batch screen. This screen displays the batch ID, a unique identification of the batch along with details of when the batch was created and by which user. In addition to batch metadata, the View Batch screen includes the batch total and associated invoice details. In the example below, there is a simple batch with one invoice totaling $12,430.00 to be sent to QBO. The single invoice is for the fictitious company called ACME Dental. To view the details of the invoice within the batch, select the View Invoice under the Actions links.
Send To QBO (Sending the Batch to QuickBooks Online)
Once you have Generated Invoices, click the Send to QBO link to deliver the invoices to your QBO account. After you have sent your batch, you can resend it and view it within your QuickBooks Online account.
The Send to QBO feature can send a single invoice or an entire batch.
View in QBO
Once you have sent the batch to QBO, you can view the respective invoices within the accounting system. To do so, select the View in QBO link.
Resend To QBO (Resending the Batch to QuickBooks Online)
Once you have Generated Invoices, and you have already sent the batch to QBO, sometimes there is a need to Resend the invoices to your QBO account. To do this, select the Resend to QBO link on the batch. After you have sent your batch, you can resend it and view it within your QuickBooks Online account.
Caution: Resending an invoice or batch will overwrite the values of the invoice in QBO.
The Resend to QBO feature can send a single invoice or an entire batch.
You can set your company's Back Office preferences by selecting the Preferences option from underneath the Configuration section. These settings determine your Contract Account, Perm Account, Line Item Name, Default Term, and Invoice Per Timesheet. To change any value, simply click on the name to access a drop down menu of choices. Each preference has a description in the right column to help further explain its use.
The Accounts section lists all of your income accounts currently set within the Back Office module. To manage these values, import them from your QBO account by clicking the Import from QuickBooks button in the top right. Every account must be built in QuickBooks first and then imported into BrightMove.
c. Item Names
The Item Names section lists all of your invoice items and their associated GL reference number currently set within the Back Office module. To manage these values, import them from your QBO account by clicking the Import from QuickBooks button in the top right. Every item you sell must be associated to a GL invoice item built within built in QuickBooks first and then imported into BrightMove.
The Terms section lists all of your invoice terms and their associated GL reference number currently set within the Back Office module. To manage these values, import them from your QBO account by clicking the Import from QuickBooks button in the top right. Every invoice you send must be associated to a GL term built within built in QuickBooks first and then imported into BrightMove.